Monday, March 12, 2007

Top Ten

As some of you know my training has hit a snag. I have discovered that I have exercise induced asthma. This isn't new for me, I have just always equated not being able to breathe with being out of shape. The other day I decided to get out of the gym and run outside. Within minutes my lungs shut down and my body responded with shutting down as well. I ran only a 1/2 a mile and was so disappointed. At that moment I knew I wouldnt be able to race outside.

I have an appointment with my doctor in two weeks and I am very hopeful that with his help this will not interfer with training any longer. I will most likely be given an inhauler that I will use before I run.

The other thing that I discovered about myself, that is also not new but is a little annoying, is how low I became at the idea of another snag in my quest for completing a triathlon. Not only did I feel low for that day but that low feeling has hung around for awhile. I did some research and I have discovered that what you eat can significantly affect your mood.

So here are the top ten foods that promote a feeling of overall happiness:

1.Omega 3 fatty acids found in Tuna, salmon, walnuts, canola oil....
2. Zinc found in wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, whole grains, high protein foods....
3. Vitamin b-3 found in chicken/turkey, pork, dried beans, salmon/tuna, peanuts....
4.WATER
5.Vitamin E found in wheat germ, sunflower seeds, almonds, blueberries, papaya, olives....
6. Calcium
7.Folic Acid found in leafy greens, beans, peanuts, some orange juice
8. Stevia-this is a natural sweetner from a leafy plant. You should be using this instead of sugar
9. Vitamin C found in citrus fruits
10. Iron found in peas, beans, nuts....

I have made the commitment to add these foods to my diet and continue working towards my goals. No I am not going to become a vegan but I do believe in the word of wisdom and that the more organic the food is the better it will be for you. And if paying attention to what I eat can help with my over all well being then it is worth the sacrifice of my beloved twinkies.

2 comments:

Cathy Lott said...

Good for you! even with set backs, you are doing the right things. I would eat healthy all..well most of the time...if someone else would cook for me. I have a hard time coming up with new ideas. Keep up the good work!

kc and k said...

I wish I liked salmon :( At Education Week I took a class on Healthy Living, and the doctor that taught the class said one of his nurses eats things she hates because then she definitely doesn't want seconds and that's how she stays thin. So, maybe I should try eating the salmon. Really, I just want my own cook too.