Friday, September 10, 2010

Life in Arizona

Jordan and I are slowly settling into life in Arizona. 

He loves his job and comes home happy every night.  They offer amazing benefits, he can make up his own schedule and they have great perks.  He can wear jeans to work, gets free snacks and drinks, and he won tickets to Michael Bolton yesterday.  (Not our kind of music but still fun that he won) 

Going from being surrounded by family, friends and babies in Boise to alone the majority of the day has been quite the adjustment.  The first two weeks we didn't have Internet or television so being at home all day was really hard.  Jordan has been really good about getting me out of the house every night and surprised me with a Netflix subscription so I can watch movies while at home during the day.  We spend most nights looking for furniture and seeing what is around our part of town. Our first purchase was a new TV.  After looking at several stores and Jordan's negotiating we got a really great deal on a 42 inch plasma TV that we just couldn't pass it up.  It feels a little big in our small apartment but we love it!!  Now all we need is a couch.  

   I am looking for a job and until I find one I try to work on little projects to help keep me busy throughout the day.  We have a pool right outside our apartment but it is so hot that the majority of the day you have to stay indoors.  How hot is it?  Most days it is over 100 degrees and day or night it is always stays about 100 degrees.  It has taken me awhile to get used to it being that hot at night.  It never cools off and I am not used to being hot.  I would carry around a jacket 'just in case' everywhere I went.  I carried around a 'just in case' jacket for about week and then realized that I was never going to need it.  It may be hot now but this winter it is going to be soo nice here. 

Here are some projects that I have been working on.               
 
Started as this... 
Turned into this...
We decided to put it in our kitchen to add a little bit of color to the room and have been using it as our 'junk drawer' and bills area.  I am really happy with how it turned out.   

Next project to finish is in our bedroom.  I bought a green lamp at DI for $3.oo and had originally painted the dresser to match the lamp.  I then started searching for a pillow to tie all the colors of our bedroom together and just couldn't find what I wanted so I decided to made my own pillow.  

  
The birds were hand drawn by me and sewn onto the pillow by my Mom.  I LOVE how it turned out.  Now I need to find the right lamp shade for the lamp and finish sewing the pillow.  

Over all we really love living here and are excited about the future.        

2 comments:

kelsey said...

Isn't it weird to be stuck inside all the time because it's too hot to go outside? Everyone here tells me to think of summer as winter. In Texas you stay inside during the summer and play outside in the winter. I'm still not used to it, and I know AZ is even hotter. Good luck! Keep your diy projects coming! I love the inspiration.

Janell said...

Your projects are great!