Monday, October 25, 2010

Thank you Grandpa Newman

I went to the store the other day.  Jordan isn't much of a shopper and does not appreciate the idea of 'just looking around' so while he was working I took the opportunity to spend the afternoon at Target.
   
As I was checking out I noticed that the total was a lot cheaper than I thought it should be.  My immediate thought was "Wow! That was a great deal.  Something must have been on more of a sale than I realized."  I walked out to my car and started going over the receipt trying to see what was the big deal of the day.  That is when I notice that not all my items were scanned.  And not only was it not scanned but it was the most expensive item I picked out that was not rung up! 

I had a brief moment of thinking "Well, it wasn't my fault that the cashier missed it and so I shouldn't have to worry about it."  Then the image of my Grandpa Newman came to mind.  He was the most honest man I have ever known.  It was that brief image that got me out of my car. 

I will admit it, I walked back not thrilled about the inconvenience but hopefully thought "Maybe they will give it to me for free for being so honest".   It was rather uneventful when they said "oh, OK." rung the item up, I paid for it and left.  No praises for being so honest, no discounts given, no fireworks, high fives or pats on the back.  Just simply the knowledge of knowing that I did the right thing.

I am still learning how to be completely honest in all things and be truly happy about it. 

Thank you Grandpa Newman for being one of the great examples in my life.  For living a life of true integrity and for the reminder in a Target parking lot of the right thing to do.   
    

0 comments: