Thursday, October 28, 2010

Trunk or Treat

For our ward 'trunk' or treat this year they had a chili cook off, carnival for the kids, candy and of course costumes.  

I have a love/hate relationship with dressing up for Halloween.  I have always loved creating characters, dressing up and over the years have come up with some really great costumes. I also love blending in with the crowd and not being the center of attention.  This creates my yearly dilemma about dressing up for Halloween.  Dress up and be the center of attention or not dress up and become another boring adult who just showed up to the event.

Jordan and I decided to go for it and picked characters from the pixar movie "Up".  The morning of the trunk or treat I woke up to finish my costume and hated it.  I needed something else.  So I headed to the dollar store and bought a blue t shirt.     

Came home and hand drew Carl and Ellie's house on a piece of freezer paper.  


 Cut the picture out with an exacto knife to create a stencil.

Ironed the freezer paper templates onto the shirt. 

Painted the house and clouds. 

After it dried for a few hours I pulled the freezer paper off and..... 

Carl and Ellie's house!

Add balloons and perfect! A costume for me that is basically a t-shirt and jeans.   

Jordan dressed up as Carl and I went as the house. 

It took a few of the kids a minute to figure out what we were, but as soon as they got it they loved it!  Especially Jordan.  He was the hit of the night making quite a few friends with the kids in our ward.  We had so much fun!  We met more of our neighbors and spent the night laughing, handing out candy and glad that we were one of those who dressed up.     

1 comments:

Jeannette & Brandt said...

Omg, that is seriously the cutest costume idea ever!!!! I love it. You guys look great!