Monday, January 28, 2008

The Jessica Simpson Girl Theory

I just felt the need to express my frustrations and write my feelings down. Dating is so hard! There is no doubt in my mind that the desire I have to be sealed in the temple to a righteous priesthood holder is a righteous desire. I know that through the Lords help that anything is possible. I also know that I am meant to have a family of my own, so when I have disappointing moments it makes me wonder if decency and commitment exist in the LDS dating world.

There seems to be a growing consensus among LDS guys that their number one priority in dating is finding the hottest girl. They have admitted many times that finding a smart, ambitious woman, someone who would make a wonderful mother and friend, who has a testimony of the gospel are simply only a bonus. It all comes down to looks. As long as she is hot the rest is negotiable. It makes me sick when I hear priesthood holders talking about where their priorities are when it comes to dating. There is no question that Satan is trying to break apart families. I believe he may have done that before many families are ever brought together.

I refuse to dumb myself down and turn into what we have termed as 'the Jessica Simpson girls' in order to find a guy. I feel that the gifts I have been given are unique to me. They are things that my Heavenly Father has blessed me with and I refuse to ignore those in order to attract a guy. So in the meantime I am disappointed once again by another guy who believes in this theory. A twenty eight year old who would rather date an eighteen year old still in high school. And once again I feel very blessed that I didn't date the guy who believes in this theory.

5 comments:

kc and k said...

Amen, Sista!

Amber Irvine said...

I second the AMEN!!! but I am also very sorry that you haven't found the guy who will see you for the amazing woman you are. Don't settle---Jessica Simpson got divorced and is alone remember! (Well, so did I but that is not my point)

Hang in there---BOYS ARE DUMB! but there have to be some decent ones hiding out there somewhere. Maybe Alaska?

christy said...

any guy with those kinds of priorities is not ready to get married. hang in there and seek the Lord first and you will be blessed.
you are a very cute girl, by the way. so any guy not interested is just the wrong guy.

Tamio & Anna said...

Tamio and I were just having a conversation along the same lines...we have 3 single guys friends that are causally dating girls that are practically in love with them. They are good girls, smart, motivated, will make great mothers, etc. ALL THREE have said the following comment in some form or another, "Well, she's not the hottest girl." Any guy who is saying something like that or anything else similiar to the Jessica Simpson theory isn't worth the time of day. I agree with christy, any guy with those kind of priorities in not ready...now if only we could get one who is down to Zions, huh? Well sorry you are frustrated, but I have noticed this theory and trend too.

dolly d. said...

I was gonna say "Amen, Sista" too. Glad to see you've since found a lucky guy. Way to go.