Monday, October 16, 2006

Adventures in cooking

I had the bright idea that I wanted to learn to cook, especially more organic foods. So I made a plan to pick one thing to learn every week. This weekend I had decided to make homemade spaghetti sauce. So I picked fresh tomatoes, found an easy recipe and started baking for the first time in my apartment. It started out really great. I felt like a true chef and my house smelled so good. (Spaghetti sauce takes about an hour to cook and then you blend it to the consistency you like.) After all my hard work I took my first taste to see how it turned out. It was so gross!! It turned out bright orange with hardly any flavor at all. I was deceived by all the great smells but couldn’t bring myself to throw it away. I had worked so hard!! So the disgusting orange sauce sits in my fridge as a symbol of all my hard work.

I have come to the conclusion that a can of store bought spaghetti sauce is defiantly worth the $2.00 you spend. And despite the tragedy of the spaghetti sauce I had the best time making it. So I am sure more great adventures in the kitchen will be on the way.

4 comments:

KyleeandMichael said...

that is so gross. Maybe I will find a recipe with some serious instructions and we can do it together. I would like to know how to make spagetti sauce too.

Amber Irvine said...

Good job on trying to be domestic. There is something deeply satisfying about creating something from scratch even if the result was somewhat less than par this one time. That being said---I will bring the Prego if you invite me over for an Italian feast!

Amber Irvine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jennyandisabelle said...

well at least you tried! You seriously need to get a camera, or borrow someones cuz i want to see how your apartment looks! How do you like it? I am going to attempt to make a bunch of christmas candies soon so we'll see how that goes!