Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Road Bikes and Trust

I was talking to my Mom yesterday about how the reality of how far the triathlon I am training for was starting to sink in.

The swimming portion I feel pretty confident about now that I have hired a swimming instructor. The running portion is going to take some time to work up to running six miles but it is something that I feel is very attainable.

Then comes the riding portion. I have discovered that I love spin class and I can ride for miles on a stationary bike in the gym. But a stationary bike is a lot different then riding outside. This is where I started to panic. Twenty five miles is a long way to ride and I don't own a bike!! I have tried to convince myself that I could borrow a mountain bike, but as I have studied about triathlons and what makes the difference between completing a triathlon or not, it comes down to your equipment. I need a road bike!! They are light, fast and a lot more comfortable for long distance rides. A mountain bike just isn't going to work.

My Mom told me to put faith in my training and faith in the idea that a way would be provided for me to get the exact road bike I want. She said to find the bike that I want, post pictures of it in my house and visualize myself riding on this bike. (She has obviously been reading The Secret) So I did some research and found the bike I want. It is still about $600.00 beyond anything that I can afford but I am going to think that a way will be provided for me to get this bike by the end of February so that I can start training outside.

I love the hope and self trust that training for this race is creating in me. It is so far from anything that I can even imagine affording or completeing but "by small and simple things great things come to pass" including a race.

1 comments:

kc and k said...

I like your ideas on trust and faith. You can do it!