Sunday, October 28, 2007

Angels Landing

I know you are all dying for pictures but I lost my USB cord so here is another boring post without pictures until I find it.

This weekend I decided to hike Angels Landing which is by far one of the most dangerous hikes in the park. It was a beautiful day, perfect for hiking. I set out alone with the rule that any hesitation I would turn around. (And yes I did say a pray before I went.) I hiked for about two hours and then almost instantly, without the usual "you can keep going, just a little further speech" I turned around. I am still not sure why I turned around, but I haven't questioned that decision yet. The hike was incredibly hard. Reading the signs along the way that said one misstep and I would die did not help. Still I was proud of myself for at least taking the risk and trying. For going beyond what was comfortable and trusting myself to know when to come down.

3 comments:

kc and k said...

Way to go, Brook! You should be proud of yourself!

Tamio & Anna said...

I would be proud of you, but I was worried that you went hiking alone...don't they address the buddy system there at Zions? Ok, I'll still be proud of you. Tamio and I drove through St. George to Vegas, had we not been in a rush I would have gotten in contact with you to meet up or something. We are going down again on the 7th, 8th or 9th of Dec. I can't remember the date so maybe we can plan something...

Dirt said...

Sweet! Angels Landings still goes down as one of the scariest hikes I've ever done, too!