Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Probably not a story I should tell my Mom

The past few days we have been talking about hiking in some near by caves after work. Last night was finally the day we went. There were seven of us. Bama, Brandon, Ethan, Tyler, Seth, Louise and Seth's dog Dixie. We left around eight at night and drove out to the caves. We explored, told stories and got really dirty and had the best time.

Right as we were getting ready to leave Seth called for his dog and she didn't come. He went back into the caves and started looking around. Right at that moment I heard a howl and nervously asked if that was a coyote. Bama said that it sounded more like wolves. All of a sudden we heard six or seven wolves attacking something nearby. You could hear them howling, fighting, whimpering and then nothing. Silence. We knew that if that was Dixie she wouldn't have survived. The boys immediatly went to try and find the dog while Louise and I stayed in the car, worried and prayed that everyone would be kept safe and that we would find Dixie and be able to take her home.

They searched for about an hour when all of a sudden Louise and I heard a whimper. We got out of the car and started calling for Dixie. I flashed my light back into the cave and saw two scared eyes looking back at me. I had found Dixie!! Louise and I climbed into the cave and carried her out. I yelled "We found her!! She's fine!!" The boys came running back and were so relieved. Seth kept thanking us the entire drive home. One thing we all agreed on was that we are family up here. We watch out and support each other, even if it means searching for a lost dog in the dark.

2 comments:

Amber Irvine said...

The adventure's continue! I am glad the dog didn't get eatten by wolves....Actually, I am glad you didn't get eatten by wolves either.

(Sidenote: The librarian at school today read a book about wolves and pronounced it "woofs" the whole time. It made me cringe--"woof" is a sound "woLf" is a dog like animal!)

christy said...

exciting! you're a hero!